Beware of Phishing Attack | Suggestion to Protect You from Phishing and Identity Theft
have you been a victim of Phishing in Saudi Arabia? There have been reports that nowadays, the Phishing Attack by some crooks are becoming stronger. It started in Email Phishing, Mobile Phishing and now they are targeting random mobile phone numbers.
What is Phishing?
Phishing is the fraudulent attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by disguising as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
Their main aim is to get your information so that they can get everything that you own, like a credit card, bank accounts and even your social media presence etc.
What is the Modus Operandi?
They will call somebody, perhaps a mobile random numbers and they will pretend to be a legit representative of a government or a bank. They will first ask your name as well as your birthday for a fake verification purpose. They will even ask your company information and your family information. Sometime they will reach a point that they ask for your username and password in an attempt to tell you that they need to verify your names and document and the last thing you know is that you are hacked. There are times also that they will pressure you saying that if you did not give the information, your account will be frozen. One more modus is they will tell you that you win a certain amount and they just want to verify yout identity.
Where Will they get your initial information?
Normally they will get it through social media, or in any other site where you normally log your information.
There are times that you put your phone numbers and email on unsecured websites and more.
What To Do Whenever you are a Victim of This Phishing?
If your bank has been compromised you need to report immediately to the bank, so that they can no longer do more harm in your account. The worst thing that could happen in phishing is having an identity theft if you do not take an action on this immediately. Identity theft is doing some illegal activities on your behalf because they have all your information.
Suggestion to Protect You from Phishing and Identity Theft
- Do not respond to any call which is not under your contact list.
- Be informed that the back will not ask for any other information when they call you. It is possible to verify your details if you are the one who calls their Hotline numbers.
- Do not place your mobile phone numbers in the public domain or social media.
- Do not share your email address in the Public domain or social media.
- Do not disclose pieces of information in Social media pertaining to your accounts.
- Think before you click on the internet.
- Be sure that you are entering those secured internets website to be safe.
- Better to post on Facebook to your “friends only” specially if you are sharing happy moments .. etc.. use the privacy settings of your social media to limit the information that they can search about you.
Stay Safe and share this piece of information, it might help your friends not to be a victim of Phishing.