How To Come Up a Hassle Free Balikbayan Box With Limited Budget
A guest post intended for Filipino’s in the Kingdom, but also to other expats as well.
Christmas is just around the corner in the Philippines. And maybe some of you, OFWs are already preparing to send Balikbayan boxes. And your love ones, on the other hand, are also expecting to receive some.
Of course Balikbayan box means expenses and not an easy task. And so if you don’t plan your budget well and learn how to collect items, you can’t come up with the right one.
But how are going to do it right? Here’s how.
- Plan your list of items to be collected so you won’t mix up with buying items your family don’t need. This will save time, money and energy.
- Allocate a certain amount of money every salary and buy those items on the list right after the remittance while buying groceries. Delaying it will let you spend it to something else.
- Investigate or ask some friends for reliable forwarders before choosing one. Consider the charges, cheaper one is not wise sometimes, but as long it is secure do so. Identifying reliable balikbayan box companies even you pay extra can give peace of mind and avoid hassle.
- Timing is important since most companies are offering discount. You can take advantage of promos if you consider a calendar before sending boxes.
- Consider the weight of the items before you purchase. Heavy ones and bulky will cost more than the items inside the box.
Tips when buying groceries
Make a list and stick to it. Donâ€™t take for granted the shopping list. Not following the list, youâ€™re buying on impulse, and thatâ€™s too bad because you’ll be out of control of shopping rounds. Let say, A few seconds staring at something your favorite will convince you to buy, and if you spend an extra 10 SR every time you make a trip to the supermarket, you waste a lot of money.
Consider shopping at more stores. When you shop for more stores, you can compare prizes and find more products on sale. Of course, better quality and quantity.
Buy in bulk. It can save money when you buy in bulk. Just make sure to check the label, stores normally mix the items, and sometimes bulk item is not always cheaper. Check expiry date and make sure it is long enough for quality, remember it takes months before it reaches to your family. It isnâ€™t cheaper to buy in bulk if you donâ€™t use it.
When thereâ€™s a sale, stock up. If you have an allocated budget, you can easily find a great deal if there’s a sale. It’s normally an item you can buy on bunch.
Balikbayan boxes are great idea to remember our family, friends and relatives back home during holiday season. But make sure it doesn’t just end there, instead have a constant communication with them
A guest post from Antonio Marco, Filipino, who writes at About OFWs.